Set up and configure a local area network and file server by building your own home-based multimedia server
About This Book
- Build a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compatible multimedia server to create your own video theatre and music jukebox
- Keep your data safe by setting up a RAID which is used for avoiding data redundancy and to performance improvement
- A fast-paced guide that will show you how to set up and configure your own network and file server, with practical steps and illustrations
Who This Book Is For
If you are a developer with BeagleBone experience and want to learn how to use it to set up a network and file server, then this book is ideal for you. To make the most of this book, you should be comfortable with the Linux operating system and know how to install software from the Internet, but you do not have to be a network guru.
What You Will Learn
- Install and configure the latest Debian image onto your BeagleBone
- Set up simple file services and multimedia sharing services
- Monitor your network traffic to ensure high-speed streaming
- Build and utilize a RAID storage system
- Stream live video action from your BeagleBone
- Make your multimedia server wireless by setting up a DHCP WiFi Server
Create your own video theatre and music jukebox using Beaglebone. Make your multimedia library available to all the devices on your network, without spending an excessive amount of money on computer components and software.
You’ll start off by installing the Debian operating system image onto your BeagleBone, and setting up the software required to serve up both audio and video files to any device on the network. Next, you’ll move on to network monitoring software, and install traceroute, MTR (My traceroute), Nmap, and iptraf-ng, to monitor the traffic on your local network. Once the monitoring software is set up, you’ll create a RAID array to store all your media files. You’ll then go one step further, and set up live and recorded video streaming using a web-based application. Finally, you’ll learn to add Wi-Fi connectivity to your multimedia server by setting up WAP on your BeagleBone system.